Name:
Location: New York

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Sept. 20, 2006

So, I leave tomorrow for my first Habitat for Humanity Global Village build in over two-and-a-half years. And I must tell you, I'm a little nervous. My connection is through Heathrow en route to Bucharest, Romania. The bag is mostly packed. Of course, my tools are taking up most of the room. You've got your work boots, tool belt, hammer, dust masks, brick-laying trowel, and paint rollers and tray. Then I picked up some small gifts for the family and affiliate we'll be working with: Hershey's candy (which is not available where I'm going); a coloring book and crayons; and a small plate from Our Name is Mudd in New York City, with a big apple on it (get it???) with NYC emblazoned across it (hopefully, this won't break during my bag's travels). Thankfully, the rather large suitcase will be much lighter on the return trip as I plan to leave the tools behind. The work team considers this a gift to the affiliate, as is any money left over from the team's budget.

We're being led by my intrepid friend, Valerie, whom I met during my first build in Nelson, New Zealand, in February of 2002. We'll be doing a lot of cool things, namely visiting Dracula's castle and the mountains. Not sure if the castle is the real thing or not, but just in case I'm bringing along Rosary beads that belonged to my Aunt Helen.

The best thing about these builds is the travelling I get to do. Being able to see parts of the world I never would have otherwise. It really is an awesome thing. And believe it or not, you have fun every day you are on the work site. Getting up at 6:45 each morning is not that big a deal when the day goes by that quickly. Of course, the three short breaks you get during the day don't hurt either. And lunch is provided on site. In New Zealand, this entailed tables and tables of food from the church ladies and other volunteers.

Stay tuned to this blog for further accounts of my adventures during this trip. Of course, this means I won't be able to blog about "Prison Break" for a while, but I'll catch up when I return.

For those wanting more info on Habitat, check out www.habitat.org or its international arm, www.habitat.org/gv.

I'll see you on the other side in a few days.

2 Comments:

Blogger Maggie said...

Was having trouble with the first post, so I had to delete it along with Ruth's comment. Have not fear! I will take plenty of pictures with my snazzy camera!

11:38 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Good luck! I'll be thinking about you!

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home